If 890 is sold

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Sun Sep 2 03:31:33 EDT 2007

Don A...

WEEI does NOT come in great at all times....

I live in Derry and drive to Concord many nights at the 1/2 before sunset to
1/2 after sunset time frame, and WREF Ridgefield CT plays havoc with 'EEI's
signal. Lucky for EEI it's daytime only, or the skywave to NH would be just
perfect to make EEI unlistenable all night long!

If you live further east than the 93 corridor, maybe it is not quite the
issue, not to mention that if you look at WEEI's signal pattern, the
Seacoast and So Maine would obviously get a better signal than even the
128-495 corridor...

-Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Don A
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 1:03 AM
To: David Tomm
Cc: BRI
Subject: Re: If 890 is sold

> I live in Metrowest.  It sucks.  I live closer to WVEI and that's even
> worse.  However, 99.5 comes in just fine....

I live in NH.  850AM comes in great day and night.

> So does 850, particularly after sunset.  Plus it's AM.  And 850 sucks
> during the day in a lot of outlying areas of the market.

I have never had an issue with it...anywhere in the metro.

> Why do you think Entercom took the Red Sox games off 850?  Because the
> signal sucks.

Are we comparing RKO/EEI?  If so, I agre, RKO has the better signal.

> Wrong.  Worcester is an embedded market within Boston.

Sorry.  Worcester is not in the metro.

>  So are the southernmost counties of New Hampshire.

The closest county to Boston is Rockingham.

It's not in the metro either.

>> So you'd be filling in part of the Boston metro with a station licensed
>> to Rhode Island?
>
> So?

So, the strongest part of these two signals will not be over Boston.

The area with the densest populations will not have the strongest signal.

> Personally, I think it's brilliant...

We'll see if Entercom agrees with your brilliance!

> It's because the market is expanding geographically.   It's no longer just

> the city and the burbs around 128.

The ARB metro hasn't changed much...since they added those areas like
hubbarston and petersham years ago.

>> That's what is happening now.  And WEEI is OK with this.
>
> On a flea powered AM that doesn't even cover half the market during the
> day, and barely covers Framingham at night.

Same thing in NYC.  WEPN is not really a factor due to WFAN's dominance and
localness.

Is WEPN flea powered too?

>> So, you would put your already wildly sucessful format on an inferior
>> signal because you are afraid of what *might* happen?
>
> No, I'd put my wildly successful station on an FM signal that covers most
> of the market, day and night.

Nest time you see a diary review...see how many diaries south of Boston list

WCRB...

Or WKLB before that.

> It's called being pro-active.

It's called gambling.

And with WEEI already wildly sucessful for Entercom....I hardly think they
will roll the dice with the scheme you suggested.

But....if I am wrong, you get a heartfelt apology from me....  ;-)