Re Re: Di-Rectional.....

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Sep 1 16:22:19 EDT 2007

Although the Tampa 620's current pattern is very similar to the
original 1930s version (still protects WTMJ and only WTMJ--except for
incidental protections to stations built after the '30s--that is, just
about all of them) and the tower spacing and electrical parameters are
probably quite similar, the current 620 site on the west side of Tampa
Bay is NOT the 1930s site. This site was built in--I think--the '50s
(maybe even the '60s) and was extensively rebuilt in the last year or
two. The towers had to be shortened and strengthered to comply with
new hurricane-safety requirements and to rectify the ravages of
salt-air corrosion over many decades. Zoning restrictions precluded
replacing the towers; they had to be shortened and repaired, which
surely must have cost a lot more than a complete replacement would
have. A slight power increase compensates for the loss of efficiency
caused by the height reduction. In addition, although it remains
licensed for approximately 5 kW, 620 has been running a nominal 10 kW
(now a bit more) under STA for several decades to compensate for
coverage lost to Cuban jamming. There have been many postings about
the original site on Barry Mishkind's Broadcast Engineering mailing
list. Somewhere in Barry's archives, you will find the location of the
original site. My understanding is that it is both south and east of
the current site. I believe that all that remains--hidden in the marsh
grass--are the crumbling footings of the original towers.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367