LLBean and Mt. Washington

Rod OConnor rjoc04679@msn.com
Wed Oct 24 04:38:33 EDT 2007

Speaking of Mount Washington

I recently made a trip up Mount Washington via the Cog Railroad. Work is nearing completion on a new power line from the RailRoad Base Station, alongside the track all the way up to the summit. According to  signs posted atop the 6300 foot peak, the project is being funded by the NH Dept. of Economic Development and The NH Emergency Management Agency (I don't recall the exact title). They indicated that the project should be complete by Fall 2007.

It's actually a very impressive endeavour. Bulldozers were still at work digging into the rock and completing laying the cable.

It will be interesting to see if there will be further attempts by other broadcasters to use the summit, now that it will have more reliable power.  It will be interesting to see just how well everything works out with the final hookup. I am sure there will be some bugs to work out, again, considering the extreme conditions.

While up there, I  did notice the empty spot where the old WMTW Building once stood until the fire back in 2003(?) Just a concrete slab marks the spot now. It amazes me that both WHOM and WPKQ towers are built so solidly to withstand the winds and ice up there.

While up there the weather was quite pleasant 47 degrees,with a relatively light breeze of 15-20MPH. Visibility to north and west was about 100 miles, with good views into Vermont and Quebec. Unfortunately everything to the east was obscured by "undercast". Couldn't see Portland, Portsmouth or the coast.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine