Only Boston program I know of that was heard nationally

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Oct 16 12:23:04 EDT 2007

At 10:22 AM 10/16/2007, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
>Cedric Foster News and Commentary originated at the studios of WNAC in
>Boston and was fed to the Yankee Network in New England and Mutual
>nationally during and probably immediately after World War II. It was
>a 15-minute program that, IIRC, aired M-F at 1:00PM Eastern time. To
>this day, it probably holds the honors as the dullest regularly
>broadcast 15-minute program in the history of network radio. Foster
>presumably was the scion of an old-line Yankee family and, as I
>recall, his views were accordingly conservtive. He had a pretty awful
>(rather high-pitched) speaking voice, spoke in a monotone, and always
>sounded as if he had a mouth full of marbles (dentures maybe?).

Yes, I do have biographical info on Cedric Foster.  Dan is right
about his ancestry-- on his mother's side (Cooke), they came over on
the Mayflower, and his father had an equally prestigeous lineage.  He
liked to tell people that he was a member of the Mayflower Society
(oh boy). He and his wife also lived on Beacon Hill in one of those
rare and very expensive homes... but after his kids were grown, he
moved to Washington DC.  Yes it's true that Cedric was on the Yankee
network, but like many in radio news back then, he started in print
journalism. In October 1940, he joined Mutual as a commentator.  He
became a war correspondent and covered WW2 from various battle
zones.  He had quite a long and distinguished career-- he was still
on the air in the early 1960s in fact.  In his heyday, he was heard
on about 500 stations.