WLNG Carrying Most Night NY Knicks & Rangers Games

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Oct 7 14:47:03 EDT 2007

Actually, WLNG continues to do very well.  It's always among the top
two or three highest rated stations on the East End of the island and
at last check was number one in billing.  The station is hyper-local,
particularly in terms of news and sales.  If you want to know what's
going on out there, WLNG is where you turn.  Like other stations in
that area, they make the bulk of their money between Memorial Day and
Labor Day during vacation/tourist season.  Running winter sports may be
an additional revenue stream during their most dormant period.  That
station is much, much more than the oldies.

I've noticed that since the sale of the other ABC stations to Citadel,
ABC/New York has simulcasted selected sports on Radio Disney 1560,
which has that monster 50K signal that blankets most of the Northeast.
A bunch of the MLB playoff games have been on 1560, including the
Rockies/Phillies game last night.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the
Knicks and Rangers also wind up on the Mouse--at least some of the
night games.  1560 can be heard very well on the East End, so it may be
more of a revenue generator for Paul Sidney and WLNG rather than a
coverage issue for ABC/New York.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"