Conelrad in Boston area

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Nov 23 11:49:18 EST 2007

I don't doubt Dan's assertion that different stations may have been
used at different times.

There still could have been technical limitations to which stations
could transmit on which frequencies effectively.  Most likely 640 would
not have emanated from a station designed for above 1200 kHz, since the
shorter antennas would be quite inefficient.  On the other hand, any
station could have likely radiated a decent signal on 1240.

On the occasions I listened in 1961, the 1240 signal was definitely NOT
strong enough to be from WCOP-1150's site on Concord Avenue in
Lexington, less than 2 miles away from Arlington.  I think that the
stations normally on 1260 and 1330 would have been possible candidates.
  1330 was a bit stronger than 1260 but both of these were (/are) far
weaker than 1150, 1030, 850, 680, and 590.

640 did seem strong enough to be from either the 590 or 680 site.  Both
stations could have been utilized in the round-robin sequence.

If 630 in RI was being used to provide coverage on 640 to Providence
and either 590 or 680 to cover Boston, one would think that there would
be quite an interference zone extending down US-1 from Dedham through
Sharon to Walpole and Mansfield.  Admittedly if the frequencies were
precisely controlled within a few Hz and the program feed perfectly
synchronous, the effect of the overlap would be minimal.

I'm not sure that all content was identical and perfectly-synched
nationally or if there were localizations in content specific to cities
covered by given outlets.

I seem to remember that with many domestic frequencies vacated during
the tests, it gave more opportunities to pick up daytime groundwave
signals from Montreal and the Canadian Maritimes.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA