Conelrad in Boston area

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Wed Nov 21 19:18:12 EST 2007

I recall that most Radios in the 60's had the CD symbol on the Radio so that
people could easily find the stations.

Funny, I always that the positions were 630 and 1260 (2-1 ratio) AND I
assumed WPRO and WEZE were there to cover that purpose! Hey I was 7-8 years
old at the time!

-Paul Hopfgarten
-Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Kevin Vahey
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:47 AM
To: Dan.Strassberg
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Conelrad in Boston area

Back in the 50's and early 60's national alerts were to be transmitted
by Conelrad at 640 and 1240 on the dial.

I recall one afternoon in the early 60's that all Boston ( and perhaps
it was nationwide ) stations signed off for a Conelrad test and
listeners were asked to go to 640 or 1240 for instructions.

Where were the Conelrad transmitters liocated for Eastern Mass?