WODS & WROR Flip To All Christmas

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Wed Nov 14 12:46:06 EST 2007

WODS may call itself an oldies station, but that's a farce in my
opinion.  They seem more in love with disco, Captain & Tennille, and
other '70s lame-o's than any kind of serious oldies from rock's first
10 years ('54 to '64).  Like where's the Chuck Berry, Little Richard,
Buddy Holly, NYC doo-wop, or for that matter even pre-"Burnin' Love"
Elvis already ?  The Beatles will probably be next on the chopping
block as time marches on.

All Christmas music may be the only way this station even sticks its
little toe into the '50s, seeing that they MIGHT play "A Christmas
Song" by Nat King Cole.  When the jingle bells stop ringing, what's the
chance that they (or any other station in Boston) is going to play
"Send for Me", "Nature Boy", or any of the other outstanding work that
Mr. Cole left behind ?

Nah, I just had better be happy with my CD's from Collectors' Choice,
Rhino, and Bear Family because Boston Radio can't deliver the goods in
REAL oldies anymore.  Despite a sizeable part of the population being
55+ (maybe the largest percentage in history?), it seems that the
powers that be have decided that we don't bloody matter.  Or that we
can be placated by '70s pop pablum masquerading as "oldies" when a lot
of us were listening to hard rock or Celtic folk or entirely other
things ... maybe even the real oldies ... during that decade of dubious
musical value.

Ranting concluded.  Resuming Christmas shopping.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA

<<
WODS does OK the rest of the year, but the six week sojourn into Santa
land every year makes them profitable. This isn't even as bad as WRKO,
which would be a zeppelin going down in flames if it wasn't for the Red
Sox games. WODS isn't at that point, although the demos are similar,
and if the end of the year caroling keeps that station from flipping to
automated classic hits or something completely different, then so be
it.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"