WODS & WROR Flip To All Christmas

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 13:07:19 EST 2007

> Can I ask a (perhaps) dumb question here?
> If flipping to Christmas music is so unpopular, why do stations do it?<<

Funny, I understand the reason for your question....after reading all of the
various message boards, you would think this is the stupidest idea ever!

It is unpopular among radio geeks, like us.  (Who are mostly male and do too
much radio listening.)  ;-)

However, among the general population, while it does turn some listeners
away, it more than makes up for that in the number of people it attracts.

> In other words, what happens to the ratings of stations like WODS and
> WROR in the Boston Arbitrons during the "holiday drive" book period?

Typically WODS's Christmas music numbers are "through the roof"!

And that one month in December lingers into the ratings that are delivered
January (Fall book), February (PH I Wtr Book) and March (PH II Wtr
Book)...as these rating results still carry along the results from December
listeners.

> My guess is that they wouldn't  do this unless it gives them an edge,
> income-wise, or is, at least,  revenue-neutral.

What I don't understand is how do the agencies in Boston (and nationally)
deal with this?

Surely they are savvy enough to know that this is a one-month phenomenon,
aren't they?

...and that 6 months later WODS will be back into it's typical ratings
slump?