WNSH

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Mon Nov 12 12:50:53 EST 2007

I was at a get-together in Yarmouth on the Cape last Saturday and noted
WNSH-1570 with an absolutely huge signal, much stronger than any other
metro-Boston station above 1030 kHz, even 50 kW WWZN.  I think that
only 590, 680, 950, and 1030 were stronger.  1360 was the only higher
end of the dial station in a somewhat-similar signal class, not
including Cape / nominal Cape stations 1170, 1240, and 1390.  1230's
fairly strong too, but messed up by 1240 IBOC.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA

Dan Strassberg wrote:
I am dumbfounded. I knew that the new signal would not be a
world-beater, but
even with what I learned from your application about the low antenna
efficiency,
I am truly surprised at how awful the signal is! (I live in Arlington,
near the
Lexington line, just north of Route 2. I have a few decent AM radios
including a
Super Radio III. Based on loudness and background noise, I judge WNSH's
signal
here to be in the neighborhood of 1.5 mV/m.) The signal sounds roughly
equivalent to WESX's 600 or so watts. (WESX's power is nominally 1 kW,
but it is
throttled back because of the very efficient half-wave antenna.)