Would syndicating WEEI in northern New England work?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Mon May 14 12:16:32 EDT 2007

Entercom's WEEI in Boston does pretty well with sports talk (they do occasional Red Sox games and will be the Celtics flagship next year). They expanded to some sister stations in Westerly RI (WEEI-FM 103.7),
Worcester (WVEI 1440) and Easthampton MA (WVEI-FM 105.5). Their Jason Wolfe was quoted as saying he would also consider expanding into NH and ME IIRC (maybe VT, too?)
If not buying a station outright, I wonder if WEEI could possibly syndicate its sports talk shows to certain stations.

Take Burlington VT for example, which has WCAT 1390 running ESPN sports. Suppose Entercom worked a deal out to simulcast WEEI instead, at least part of the time. No Red Sox, as WJOY has had them for years (though who
knows...) and I think the Zone has Fox Sports (which WEEI runs overnight) but you could have:

morning drive Dennis and Callahan
midday Dale and Holley
pm drive The Big Show
weeknights Planet Mikey

Or they could take some shows and do ESPN for others (unless ESPN has some kind of deal where they're
committed to running a full schedule, who knows).

You'd have a more New England-based sports product.
Anybody in NH? (Though I think WEEI's regular signal carries well into Manchester/Concord). Portland?
Other areas? I'd think Jason Wolfe might be considering that...

Entercom already syndicates Howie Carr on 3 other MA stations plus outlets in NH and Maine (and used
to do VT as well)