A fun trivia question

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Fri May 4 14:28:41 EDT 2007

While we're on the subject of Muntz TVs and their reportedly awful color
sets, here's a good question to pursue:  What was the first time you ever
saw a color telecast?

In my case, I was about fifteen, I think, and it was a telecast of the
weekday afternoon Merv Griffin Show that used to be on Channel 4 in the
mid-'60s.  The set was a brand-new RCA Victor color console that was in one
of the waiting rooms of Henry Heywood Hospital in Gardner.  Someone had
donated it to the hospital.  The thing had quite a number of knobs and
buttons on it, including at least three or four by which one could adjust
the color, but obviously no one on the hospital staff knew what to do with
them.  Poor Merv was as green as a Martian.

-Doug