WTXL (was Re: Memories of John Garabedian and V-66...)

Glenn and Judy Spatola gjspatola@wavecable.com
Fri Jun 22 01:07:14 EDT 2007

Those pictures of WTXL brought back memories.  I was at UMass. in the
mid-to-late 1960s and auditioned for a job there.  It was 1967.  I remember
listening on the way to the station and hearing the AM drive jock give the
"tixel tele-time" and "tixel tele-temperature" after every song.

1490 WTXL was a daytimer as I recall, 1000 watts daytime and 250 watts after
sunset.  Their low budget top 40 sound was OK, such as it was.

I was asked to record an audition tape in their production studio, and I
did.  One of the songs I used was Kenny Rogers and the First Edition's "Just
Dropped In (to See What Condition My Condition Was in)."  It would have been
the perfect station for my first "real" radio job (after WMUA), but it
didn't happen there...

Glenn Spatola