When WBZ played covers instead of hits

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:23:27 EDT 2007

> Though historical accounts list WCOP as flipping from Top 40
> to Country in the late 60's or early 70's, I seem to recall
> WCOP having gone Country by 1966, or at the latest 1967.

They flipped much, much earlier probably early 1962 when they went
back to MOR. I know this because growing up in North Cambridge they
had a much stronger signal than WMEX. They used to have the Pepsi
Dance Party every Saturday night with Ken Carter at the Elliot
Ballroom in Porter Square. Carter went on to buy 950 WORL (WRYT-WROL)

Carter even made WORL a Top 40 station in 1965 but being a daytimer
they were doomed.

I assume WCOP lost the Top 40 wars with WMEX because they had no
signal to speak of north of Revere at night. I remember Dom Valentino
doing a soccer game from Manning Bowl in the late 60's and they could
not hear the station in Lynn.

But WCOP did run one of my favorite programs of all time NBC Monitor