When WBZ played covers instead of hits

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 16:50:25 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Eli Polonsky <elipolo@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't recall ANY Boston station playing the Spencer
> Davis original when "Gimme Some Lovin'" was a hit.

> Of course, the original Spencer Davis version came
> back as an Oldie everywhere soon thereafter, and the
> Jordan Brothers version got "lost".
>
> EP

Then on occasion the opposite happened.

There was a song in early 1967 (98.6 by Keith) that never got any
traction in Boston on either WMEX or WBZ but did well nationally.

Then in 1968 WRKO released their first solid gold album and 98.6 was
on it and it has been played in Boston ever since.

If there is any good coming from WODS reairing "American Top 40" is
you will hear many tracks not heard for 30 years.