When WBZ played covers instead of hits

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 16:18:19 EDT 2007

> > From: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@gmail.com>
> To: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:48:28 -0400
> Subject: When WBZ played covers instead of hits
>
> Gimme Some Lovin which was a huge hit by Spencer
> Davis never aired on WBZ, instead they used a group
> called "The Jordan Brothers"

I don't recall ANY Boston station playing the Spencer
Davis original when "Gimme Some Lovin'" was a hit.

WBZ, WMEX, and WRKO-FM (the AM didn't go music until
a few months later) ALL played The Jordan Brothers
cover. The only place where I heard the Spencer Davis
original at the time was on New York stations skipping
in at night (WABC, WPTR, WKBW, etc...).

Of course, the original Spencer Davis version came
back as an Oldie everywhere soon thereafter, and the
Jordan Brothers version got "lost".

EP