Cable Choice and Competition Act

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jun 12 14:31:40 EDT 2007

On 12 Jun 2007 Rick Kelly wrote:

> I thought Gummo was a lot older than the others, too, but could be
> mistaken.  Did they ever have a regular radio show, I wonder (just to
> keep this the subject at hand...)

Gummo was actually fourth.   Chico was the oldest, then Harpo, then
Groucho, then Gummo, then Zeppo.   Gummo left the act to go into the
Army during World War I and never returned.

There were a number of radio shows, mostly either Groucho alone or
Groucho with Chico.  Harpo made very few radio appearances for
obvious reasons.  Groucho and Chico did a short-lived comedy called
"Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel," about a law office.  Few of those
episodes exist now, but the BBC re-created them from the scripts a
few years back.  It was originally called "Beagle, Shyster & Beagle,"
but a real-life attorney Beagle threatened to sue, so they changed
the name.  They explained the name change by having the secretary
tell someone over the phone that her boss got a divorce and returned
to his maiden name.

There was also an even shorter-lived news parody, modeled after Time
Magazine's "The March of Time."  It was called "The Marx of Time,"
with Groucho and Chico, and you can use your imagination to guess
what it was like.

Groucho hosted a variety show called the Pabst Blue Ribbon Hour for
maybe one season.  Finally, John Guidel pursuaded him to do a quiz
show, so that he would have a vehicle for his ad-libbing.  That was
the highly successful "You Bet Your Life," which ran for 14 years on
radio and television.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
92 State Street                          Fax: 617.507.7856