Cable Choice and Competition Act

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jun 12 01:09:08 EDT 2007

On 11 Jun 2007 at 19:14, Dan Billings wrote:

> When I was young, we had these things called newspapers that actually
> covered local government meetings.  They had people that they called
> reporters who went to the meetings and then wrote stories that could
> be read in minutes telling what happened.  Instead of spending the
> whole evening watching a meeting to see the one or two things that you
> cared about, you could read what happened over breakfast.
>
> Of course, most newspapers long ago end such coverage.

Unfortunately, the business model for most local papers has changed.
It used to be that people would buy the newspaper, and subscriptions
plus ads were enough to make a profit.  But the old subscription-
supported model failed in more recent times when sales started to
decline.  Now, most local papers are given away free and entirely
supported by ads.  This no doubt limits the space available for news
coverage.

I remember when school committee and selectmen's minutes used to
appear regularly in the local paper.  You don't see that any more
now.

 92 State Street	                                  Fax 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109           	         http://www.attorneyross.com