WCCM

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Wed Jul 25 18:02:23 EDT 2007

I think it makes sense as the Hispanic Audience from Salem NH North is
significantly less than that from Salem southward.

-Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH

(There's a little grocery story in Derry that has an 1980s 1110/WVNH
map/poster with businesses lined up around the perimeter..)

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
haverhill01835@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:54 PM
To: Joe Corcoran; boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: WCCM

As of 8/1 - WCCM and WCEC programming will swap programming (Brokered
spanish will now be on 1490 and Eng. Programming will now be heard on 1110)

If memory serves me correct - 1110 is a pretty decent So. NH radio signal,
getting into Manchester rather well.  As a matter of fact - I remember
having to pick up a contract engineer when I worked for Costa Eagle at
Manchester Airport.  Leaving Methuen, 1110 came in rather well right up to
the Manchester Airport parking facility.

1110 is a very tough catch for me in Haverhill (read: darned near
impossible), and is even worse in the 'burbs of Groveland, Georgetown, etc.
Even north of the border into Plaistow, 1110 is a tough catch. It can also
be considered marginal at best in parts of Methuen, Lawrence and other parts
of the Valley during my "airchecks" since I found out about the change.

On the flip side, 1490 has been marginal in parts of Lawrence (esp.
Downtown) since the flip from 800 a few years back.

IMHO: The Bottom line is that WCCM 1490 has been a "daytimer" of sorts for
sometime now: English runs from 5A-6P with some sort of Spanish programming
from 6P-5A (whether it's Red Sox baseball in Spanish or the Spanish
"Romantica" music format, or even a broker or two)  Now, it's just a
requirement for WCCM to officially "be" a daytimer being on 1110.  This will
allow Costa/Eagle management the chance to further sell into the Spanish
brokered market.  It would appear to be a business decision - plain and
simple.

Marc Lemay
fmr. AM Drive Host (and a variety of other positions)
Costa Eagle Broadcasting

From: Joe Corcoran <jwcorcoran@earthlink.net>
> Happened to be scanning 1490 this morning and heard a promo that on August
1st
> WCCM would move to 1110 AM.  This would make the third move for WCCM in
the past
> few years, (800 orignally) and I'm assuming would free up the 1490
frequency for
> Costa to run fulltime Spanish language progamming.
>
> If I remember correctly, the 1110 is based in Salem, N.H. and sends most
of it's
> signal north, so I wonder how the signal will compare to 1490 in the
Merrimack