WCCM

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Jul 25 17:33:59 EDT 2007

WCEC 1110 has no PSRA except in April. Their PSSA is for as little as 15
minutes (May, June) and as much as an hour (November, December, January).
The rest of the months are either 30 or 45 minutes. The April PSRA power is
10W. The PSSA powers vary between 10 and 19W, with the largest number of
months getting 18W. Of course, the powers (but probably not the times) are
subject to revision this fall. No doubt the PSSA times represent Charlotte
sunset. As a Class D AM inside of the dominant Class A's normally protected
0.5 mV/m 50% skywave contour, WCEC should not be eligible for a PSRA except
in the part of April after DST comes in (that is, the entire month now but
not quite all of it in recent years).

I may be confused, but it looks as if March PSRAs, the daypart and month
when stations like WCEC need the most help with PSRAs, have not been
affected by the DST change, which means that WCEC, WILD, and a few others
will have real late sign-ons in March. The probably reason is that extending
early sign-ons for at least some of these stations required international
cooperation and the ever-on-the-ball FCC didn't start work on the project
early enough to even begin such negotiations until after they first
published (and then rescinded) the new rules last fall.

It would not surprise me to learn that WCEC has been using a "do-it-yourself
PSRA." Costa's stations are known for such "creative engineering." If asked
about it, they would probably claim to have received verbal (that is,
non-written) authorization from somebody at the FCC. When pressed, that's
what some other daytimers have said about non-standard sign-on and sign-off
times.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367