Is it time for WTBS to make a comeback on 88.1?

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 19:45:03 EDT 2007

--- Cohasset / Hippisley <cohasset@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Eli Polonsky wrote:
>
> > it's rare to listen to a two-hour airshift on WMBR
> > without at least one CD player failure on- air per
> > show...
>
> Ahhh, for the days when Rock 'n Roll Memory Time was
> all vinyl....

I loved R'n'RMT. Too bad that show couldn't survive.
One of the hosts in it's last years, Doug Edwards, is
currently one of the hosts of the 1950's R&B/Doo-Wop
shows Saturday evenings on 91.7 WMWM Salem State.

I still play a fair amount of vinyl on WMBR on my
edition of the "Lost & Found" 1960s/'70s show, but
I try to use CD reissues of the music when available.
The vinyl LP's in their library, as well as in my own
collection, have all seen far better days. The Rice
Krispies sound just sounds bad in this day and age.

Besides frequent CD player failures, another thing
you'll often hear on shows that play vinyl on WMBR is
turntables dropping one stereo channel or the other.
The contacts between the head shells and the tone arms
continually develop oxidation and tarnish, which while
invisible to the eye, prevent the audio from passing
through.

Back when the station had analog tape decks and cart
machines, there were always Q-Tips and alcohol based
solvent around for cleaning, and it was easy to clean
the tone arm contacts while cleaning the tape heads.

However, now that there are no more analog tape decks,
those cleaning supplies are no longer available in the
studios. I bought my own bottle of solvent and bag of
Q-Tips and store them in my station locker, so that I
can clean those chronically intermittent turntable
tone arm contacts before my shows.

EP