Unusual Commercial on WBZ-AM

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Wed Jul 18 21:37:42 EDT 2007

Didn't they used to be big sponsors on Howie Carr's show?

Best,
Tony Schinella

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Roger Kirk
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:35 PM
To: bri@bostonradio.org
Subject: Unusual Commercial on WBZ-AM

I heard a commercial (for a Cigar Shop in Salem NH) on WBZ today for the
first time.

While he does not say his name, the talent is obviously Dale Dorman (or
the darn best imitation I've ever heard).

What's interesting is that it sounds like a live read - done in Uncle
Dale's inimitable ultra-wacky style - making it sound a tad out of place
on 'BZ.

However, I find it more interesting that Dale would be huckstering a
smoking product at all - given his disdain for smoking.  It was alleged
(while I worked at WRKO) that Dale suffered from a lung condition that
made his tolerance for smoke almost nil.  I do know that he made his
feelings about smoking very clear when he came in at 5:30 and somebody
had smoked in the announcer's booth.

Guess the price must have been right.