Lots of avails on the WRKO Boston Red Sox Radio Network?

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Fri Jul 13 14:45:03 EDT 2007

Laurence from Methuen asked:

 >Can somebody explain to me why the affiliates don't INSIST that the
originating station not use their call letters
 >before the station break?

Probably because WRKO insists that their call letters be used as much as
possible i.e. every 15 seconds - lest one listener somewhere, somehow
forget what station he's listening to.  It would appear that radio
assumes that their listeners' attention span is equal to that of a goldfish.

I've heard this inane kind repetition carried to an extreme on WBZ.  An
example:

<live>... that's WBZ Newsradio-1030's Pat Desmarais - Saturday nights on
WBZ Newsradio 1030.  WBZ News time is 8.24. <pre-recorded promo by
Anthony Silva> New England is Sold on WBZ Newsradio 1030 Everyday!

and on and on...