WKFD 1370 Ri (deformatted)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Jul 5 14:21:05 EDT 2007

> It's amazing that an operation in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
> would have to worry these days about first-, second-, and even
> third-frequency separation over dozens and dozens of miles, while
> WAZN-AM 1470 blithely plops itself down in the midst of what was once
> the reasonably decent coverage area of the former WBET-AM 1460 in Brockton!
> I know WAZN is uber-directional, but still...

The rules on these moves are, if nothing else, well set out in black and
white and equitably enforced.

In a nutshell: there's a table that sets out what the protected contour
for each class of station is, for co-channel, first-adjacent,
second-adjacent and third-adjacent. You can read the whole table here:
http://sujan.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/2006/73/37/

In the case of first-adjacent class B signals, which is what both WXBR
1460 and WAZN 1470 are, the rule says that the 0.25 mV/m contour of one
station can't overlap the 0.5 mV/m contour of the other, and vice versa.
  The combination of lousy ground conductivity between Lexington and
Brockton and the very directional 1470 pattern more or less takes care
of that requirement. In the case of WKFD, though, salt water is very
conductive, and so the signal spreads and spreads and spreads as it
heads away from Charlestown, creating more interference concerns. The
FCC will allow interference over water, but they get picky about ANY
interference over land, only rarely granting waivers when it's
noncontiguous and outside the station's home market. (An example would
be WAMG interfering on paper with WCBS on Cape Cod.)

In this specific case (WXBR/WAZN), I suspect there was existing
grandfathered prohibited overlap between the old Marlborough WSRO signal
and WBET. In a case like that, the FCC wants to see a reduction in the
amount of overlap, but will approve an application that doesn't
completely eliminate the overlap. That might have been what happened here.

As for WKFD, the relevant issues stack up like this:

WNRI 1380 - can't overlap 0.25/0.5 contours. WNRI's 0.5 just comes down
to Warwick, and it's 0.25 brushes the north end of Aquidneck Island.
This severely restricts ANY signal to the north from WKFD.

WFEA/WALK 1370 - WKFD's 0.025 mV/m (a vanishingly weak signal) can't
overlap either of these stations' 0.5, and vice versa. This is a further
limitation to the north (WFEA) and to the southwest (WALK).

The other nearby AMs are less of an issue. WDRC on 1360 has the same
protections as WNRI, but it's more distant. WPLM on 1390 and WNBH on
1340/WHTB on 1400 have even less protection - for second-adjacent 1390,
the 5 mV/m contours can't overlap, and for third-adjacent 1340/1400, the
25 mV/m contours can't overlap. Even with the water path between 1340
and 1370, the powers involved are still small enough that the 25s don't
come close to overlapping.

That said, the WNRI issue is just a killer for this signal.

(This analysis looks only at daytime protections; at night, a class B
signal gets only co-channel protection, but here's where protection of
WFEA becomes a killer. And because you can't apply for a new daytimer,
you have to have a licensable night signal to apply for anything at all.)