WKFD 1370 Ri (deformatted)

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:50:06 EDT 2007

Robert F. Sutherland wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has knowledge? Apparently the WKFD call was
> not otherwise reserved?
> Is ASTRO TELE-COMMUNICATIONS CORP intending Block Island & the
> rest of coverage is by chance? Do they own any other stations?

>The new 1370 was applied for during the last window for major AM
>changes and new AM stations. Under current rules, you can't apply
>for a new daytimer, as the old WKFD was, and any new station has to
>provide considerably greater protection to other occupants of the
>channel (primarily, in this case, WFEA, WALK and WNRI, but also
>WLYN, WDRC, WINY, WNBH, WPLM and WHTB) than the old WKFD's
>grandfathered signal did.
It's amazing that an operation in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
would have to worry these days about first-, second-, and even
third-frequency separation over dozens and dozens of miles, while
WAZN-AM 1470 blithely plops itself down in the midst of what was once
the reasonably decent coverage area of the former WBET-AM 1460 in Brockton!
I know WAZN is uber-directional, but still...

--
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com!