WBZ/Esplanade

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Jul 5 12:31:07 EDT 2007

Eli Polonsky wrote:

> AM stations that run IBOC must run an even more limited
> frequency response on their analog signals than stations
> that don't, and they don't change that processing even
> when they aren't running IBOC at night.

They're not required to stay with the narrow analog bandwidth when the
IBOC goes off, and not all do. WLS in Chicago even turns their AM stereo
back on at sunset.

It's trivial, in a modern Omnia or Orban processor, to set up timer
schedules that will adjust processing depending on daypart. We do it at
WXXI in Rochester for the University of Rochester FM that we manage,
WRUR, which needs different processing depending on whether it's
simulcasting our news-talk AM, running a AAA format we produce during
the day, or running student rock mixed with various obscenities at night...