WKFD 1370 Ri (deformatted)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jul 3 20:54:11 EDT 2007

Robert F. Sutherland wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has knowledge?
> Apparently the WKFD call was not otherwise reserved?
> Is ASTRO TELE-COMMUNICATIONS CORP intending Block Island &
> the rest of coverage is by chance?   Do they own any other stations?

The new WKFD has no connection to the old WKFD, which ended under
slightly shady circumstances. Before the license was deleted completely,
the old WKFD operated for a brief time (circa 1994) from a different
transmitter site inland a bit from the old tower site. This was
apparently an unauthorized change of transmitter site, of control and
even of call, since the station was calling itself "WEGM" for a while.
(I have pictures and tape of it.)

The new 1370 was applied for during the last window for major AM changes
and new AM stations. Under current rules, you can't apply for a new
daytimer, as the old WKFD was, and any new station has to provide
considerably greater protection to other occupants of the channel
(primarily, in this case, WFEA, WALK and WNRI, but also WLYN, WDRC,
WINY, WNBH, WPLM and WHTB) than the old WKFD's grandfathered signal did.

Astro bought the CP from the original applicant, who simply shoehorned
in a 1370 signal in about the only place that it would fit - right on
the coast, aimed out at sea. Astro owns WADK 1540 in Newport and WJZS
99.3 on Block Island, so this 1370 is at least somewhat complementary to
those signals, notwithstanding the lack of a night signal over Aquidneck
Island.

It's not at all clear to me how anyone would make money on this signal
(well, except by applying for the CP and then selling it, unbuilt, that is.)

And yes, the WKFD calls were simply unassigned and available when Astro
bought the CP.