WKFD 1370 Ri (deformatted)

Robert F. Sutherland madprof@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 3 19:57:00 EDT 2007

Originally the tiny Wickford station;
in 1985, 500w d   41:33:57, 71:27:19.
Sometime tower crashed, then they ran a long wire held up by a balloon;
250w d, 130w n   41:34:00,71:27:08.
Then silent. (pre 1994)
2003 FCC data base listed as license cancelled.

now, as I'm updating my RI maps, I find FCC data base lists:
WKFD, cp to Charlestown, RI (mainland south coast)  41:22:38,71:39:50,
directional, 3 in-line towers, primary lobe 140 degrees
2.5k day (with large (~1/3) lobe opposite (320 deg))
5k night  (~cardioid, with minor lobe opposite)

The patterns only seriously cover Block Island, daytime into Westerly,
with some signal to Norwich CT, maybe Storrs & Putnam.
Nighttime also some to Westerly, Wakefield-Peacedale, maybe Newport.

Wondering if anyone has knowledge?
Apparently the WKFD call was not otherwise reserved?
Is ASTRO TELE-COMMUNICATIONS CORP intending Block Island &
the rest of coverage is by chance?   Do they own any other stations?

thanks.
Bob Sutherlan