Herald: Music fee hikes could scuttle WJIB

Doug Bassett hinsdalien@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 19:43:13 EST 2007

--- Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:

( [snip] I once knew what the
> initials SESAC stood for, but
> I can no longer remember.)

SESAC originally stoof for Society of European Stage
Authors & Composers, though they would rather just be
called SESAC these days.  SESAC operates as a
for-profit enterprise, keeping a certain amount of
royalty income for itself, while ASCAP and BMI
distribute all royalty income to composers and/or
publishers (less administrative costs, of course).
SESAC has moved away from their original mission of
collecting fees for European artists, and is,
according to their website, the "most innovative and
fastest growing performing rights organization in the
U.S."

http://www.sesac.com

I don't know why, but the whole royalty collection and
distribution process fascinates me for some reason.
When filling out those dreaded ASCAP and/or BMI logs
once or twice a year (I've never had to fill out one
for SESAC), I have occasionally been known to write
legibly. :)

Doug B.