Turner Broadcasting:"Stunt Gone Wrong"

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Jan 31 18:01:57 EST 2007

>>Is this a bad judgement call on the part of someone in the marketing
department at Turner/Cartoon Network? Can the FCC issue any penalties to

Turner in the wake of a broadcast organization (albeit one received via
cable or dish, not an over the air net) causing such a commotion? Will
heads
be rolling at Turner's world headquarters? Definitely not a good day in
Atlanta (if that's where they're still based).<<

I am not a lawyer, but one thought occurred to me:  Turner Broadcasting
is an FCC licensee (numerous satellite uplinks, plus WTBS(TV) Atlanta),
and there is a rule prohibiting broadcast "hoaxes."  One of the
conditions under which the rule applies is the unnecessary diversion of
law enforcement or safety personnel.  I have no idea whether or not this
would apply to a cable channel.

And if those objects have been sitting around for two or three weeks,
undetected, I have to wonder if people on Turner's payroll were the ones
who reported them to authorities.  Funny how they all came to light on
the same day in ten different cities.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI AM/FM
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Boston MA  02135-2040
Phone: 617-779-5369
Fax: 617-779-5379