Two Dave MacNeils?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:10:40 EST 2007

I checked the archives under 'Authors' and couldn't find even a single instance
where I might have erroneously given that impression because I know it's not
the case.  Under previous "management" they would occasionally run an
essential classics weekend, and that's where they would sneak in a complete LvB9
somewhere around 9:00 pm on Sunday.  December was taken up with holiday music,
but since The Great One's birthday occurred in that month, it's possible
they could also play it on a Sunday night close to the 16th.  Since the new
"management" hasn't brought up a new wcrb.com except to offer online
audio streaming, I can't tell if they did so in 2006.

>I can appreciate that, but if symphonies must be fully played, then so
>should Ma Vlast, which contains The Moldau (a key top-40 piece), as should
>ballets, choral works, etc.

There's no question that symphonies should be played in full because
that's what music directors of symphony orchestras ranging from the
New York Philharmonic to the smallest community orchestra do in
regular concerts (not youth concerts or family concerts usually with lectures).
Performance practice with regard to
"Ma Vlast" is to play "The Moldau" almost overwhelmingly, and occasionally
"From Bohemia's Meadows and Forests"...classical music radio music directors
have the right to do the same thing (I've only been to ONE live
performance of ALL of "Ma Vlast" in my life, and that's when a major
Czeck conductor, Rafael Kubelik, was a guest conductor of the Boston
Symphony Orchestra, and that was probably 20 years or more ago.
There's no need to play individual movements from longer pieces because
the standard repertory contains countless relatively short orchestral
pieces they could play in their stead...look up "symphonic poem" at
wikipedia.

--
Low Prices, Wide Selection of Gas Masks
Everyday low price guarantee. We offer special police discounts and an extremely wide selection of gas masks, filters and huge selection of preparedness gear.