Herald, Ch. 25 report WRKO Finneran deal

chuckigo@maine.rr.com chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 04:12:20 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Billings <billings@suscom-maine.net>

> Chuck:  I see that you are putting the emphasis on Mr. Finneran's
> convictionand not his lack of radio experience.  That is a real
> distinction from the
> folks hired at WGAN.  I was focusing on your comments regarding
> his voice
> and lack of experience when thinking of Ken.
> (snip)

were it not for Finneran's new-found status as an out-of-work pol
thanks to less than scrupulous dealings, do you honestly think he'd be
any major market station's first choice to host morning drive?   i'm
not putting the emphasis on that at all - i do believe i plainly
stated that i feel that dues-paying and hard work in broadcast means
everything.  the trend to hire individuals of no broadcast background
is, as i initially stated, disheartening to those of us who have
worked for years with an eye on the prize.  and that the hiring of
said individuals based upon a level of notoriety is an extremely sad
thing to me.

however, these individuals do bring to the mic a certain level of
inside knowledge gained from their particular field of expertise.  in
the case of politics-hungry Boston, a man of Finneran's stature can
only add to the constant desire to know more about how and why the
government in that state is doing what it does.

- -Chuck Igo