Herald, Ch. 25 report WRKO Finneran deal

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Mon Jan 15 21:34:10 EST 2007

Dan B wrote:
>>Chuck:  You are now parsing your earlier broad statement like a lawyer
trying to distinguish an unfavorable case.

I was thinking of Ken and the two politicians now hosting a weekend show om
WGAN when I sent my earlier message.  Ken's voice is painful to listen to.<<

and had you more definitively stated your intended meaning, i might have
been somewhat less disinclined to disagree.  however, parsing aside, you
simply stated that WRKO was taking a page from the WGAN playbook.  WGAN has
not hired any convicted felons.  granted, one former WGAN host was convicted
down the road, but hell, a whole bunch of people voted for her for governor.

to the points you've made - they are your opinions, and i will stipulate
that with your radio background, they are not necessarily uneducated ones.

in New England Radio, probably the first noteworthy non-radio-background
person to man a major market mic was Peter Meade when he first appeared on
WBZ.  i can recall a fairly well-respected and knowledgeable PD wincing at
the thought of a radio-newbie doing the early evening talk shift on the
legendary WBZ.
the same could be said when Curtis Sliwa was given Dan Ingram's old shift.

however - neither Peter Meade in Boston, Portland's Ken or the two current
politicos on WGAN are convicted felons, to the best of my knowledge.

cart-before-the-horse: Richard Hatch.  naked island dweller turned Boston
morning radio co-host turned forgettful tax-filer.  of course, that whole "i
won a million dollars on national tv and maybe no will notice..." defense
didn't really work out well for him.  not for nothing, glad he's cooling his
heels and not on the air, anywhere.  i feel bad for his kid.

to those who have not paid their dues in radio, i have no admiration for
their portrayed ability, not unlike many of my long-term professional radio
bretheren.  ask any one of the new-comers how to facilitate a pattern
change, mark-cut-splice a length of tape or put a cue tone on the end of a
spot - they'll look at you like many a perplexed jury.   i am, however, a
tad bit envious of the compensation packages afforded these folks.  i can
admit that, and want the phone number of their agents asap.

i'm not parsing a damn thing, Dan.  it is you who attempts to turn the
words.

the radio people rest.

- -Chuck Igo