[B-R-I] Re: Herald: WTKK lineup changes

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Thu Jan 4 16:29:07 EST 2007

>>Let me get this straight: radio in general is in a constant state of
turmoil
because of declining listening patterns (I believe a firm called
Bridge Media has chronicled this) and defections of advertisers
themselves to other media.  Yet a powerful radio station in a major
market keeps a guy on-the-air so a few business owners can get a
"thrill"
by hearing a couple of the station's employees voice their spots!
Duh.<<

Ain't no "thrill."  The reason is lots o' money.  Famous people have
always sold things, whether it's Ronald Reagan touting General Electric
products or Jay Severin plugging Ken's Steak House.  Jay is famous in
this market, and clearly the advertisers want him to voice their
commercials.

Advertisers pay a premium...sometimes a whopping premium...to get the
on-air hosts to voice their spot.  Whether or not it's ever been proven
that identifiable personalities sell more of a product than a
disembodied voice, I couldn't say...but as long as the advertisers
believe it, the stations will offer it, and make lots o' bucks doing
so.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WKAF - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI AM/FM
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Boston MA  02135-2040
Phone: 617-779-5369
Fax: 617-779-5379