[B-R-I] Re: Herald: WTKK lineup changes

Don A. Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 16:16:54 EST 2007

> Let me get this straight: radio in general is in a constant state of
turmoil
> because of declining listening patterns (I believe a firm called
> Bridge Media has chronicled this) and defections of advertisers
> themselves to other media.  Yet a powerful radio station in a major
> market keeps a guy on-the-air so a few business owners can get a "thrill"
> by hearing a couple of the station's employees voice their spots!  Duh.

No not just that....Duh!

But when you put the assetts of a station on one side and the debits on
another...people like Barnicle and Franken end up on the asset side.....even
with cruddy ratings.

Barnicle is on MSNBC plenty....and on Chronicle....and his visibility
certainly helps lift the station.

Just like a name on a movie marquee can bring in people who wouldn't
normally attend.

Can just a name make a stinker movie a hit?  Probably not, but studios have
been doing the same thing for years.

> >He is a current fill-in host on MSNBC.
>
> I occasionally view MSNBC, especially Keith Olbermann, but it's still the
> third-ranked cable news outlet.  If the population at-large is only
> dimly aware of several of their headliners (Tucker Carlson, Joe
Scarborough),
> where does that place fill-ins?

He fills in for Chris Matthews a lot.  (And Chris Matthews is more popular
than Carlson or Scarborough right now.)

In any event, it's still it's a plus.