Mike Gallgher

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Thu Jan 4 11:00:56 EST 2007

At 8:55 AM -0500 1/4/07, Doug Drown wrote:
>This brings up a pet peeve of mine.  Why do radio stations do delayed
>broadcasts of talk shows?  This makes no sense to me, given that the point
>of a talk show is interaction between the host and his/her listeners.
>(Unless you just want to sit and listen to the host yak.  It goes without
>saying that some hosts revel in their pontificating.)

As long as there are enough callers to give the host a base of
support or someone to argue against, that's enough for them.  The
issue isn't anything like fairness or getting all points of view
heard, it's simply about ratings.  As for why they delay, it's mostly
just where a program fits in the station's schedule.  On the west
coast, nearly all talk programs (except local ones) are heard on a
delayed basis.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH