Guy starts a LP station in Concord.

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Feb 5 00:24:03 EST 2007

On 4 Feb 2007 at 1:08, Don A wrote:

> Well, the sucess of the present incarnation of WCRB has yet to be seen.
>
> However, WCRB (102.5) was considered one of the most sucessful Clasical
> stations in the country.

Then why does the present management want to tamper with that
success?

> The same factors that work for pop radio brought WCRB it's highest ratings
> ever.

And as I've observed before, when I'm in my car and want classical
music, I check WGBH, WHRB, and WCRB, and invariably WCRB is the
station playing something I want to listen to.  But that's not
because they limit their playlist to playing the same ten items
repeatedly, it's because they don't include a number of things that
are unlistenable.  WHRB apparently believes that it's their mission
to play what nobody else does, which is fine, but there's a reason
nobody else plays a lot of what they play.  WGBH is somewhere in
between and I seem to recall was greatly criticized a few years ago
when they restricted their playlist to more listenable music.

> 102.5 enjoyed it's most sucessful years when it increased it's repetition
> and started playing shorter peices.

And it also got a lot of listener complaints.  They had a promo a few
years ago touting their "listener line," in which they said that
"you've told us you want to hear less repetition and whole
symphonies, rather than excerpts."  And they moderated the repetion
and short pieces format a bit.

> 99.5 seems to be following the same recipe, albeit a little more "clunkily".

But nowadays there are alternatives to classical radio.  I like
Beethoven's 6th Symphony, but I've been hearing it EVERY DAY, and I'm
tired of it.  So instead I can turn my computer to any number of
online channels which play something else.

WCRB seems to obsess on certain pieces as if they're the current
Number One Song, and play them until people get thoroughly sick of
tiem.  Then they finally take them out of rotation and turn to some
other obsession.  A number of years ago it was Beethoven's 8th that
got the obsession treatment.  Or the first movement, anyway.

What I worry about is, if they drive away listeners with their pop
format, will they decide to moderate the format or will they decide
that there is no longer an audience for classical radio in Boston?

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581