WLOB Portland Celebrates 50th

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Sat Feb 3 22:59:31 EST 2007

My goodness, the FM has a convoluted history!  I can add more: The current
WLOB-FM that was WWMR was WRUM-FM even before that.  I remember that when I
first came here in the mid-'70s it simulcast the parent AM, which was a real
old-fashioned small-town full service station.  (CBS affiliate.)  I think
Mel Stone may have owned WRUM at the time.

-Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
To: "'Doug Drown'" <revdoug1@verizon.net>; "'Boston Radio Interest Board'"
<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:16 PM
Subject: RE: WLOB Portland Celebrates 50th

J.J. Jeffrey owns WLOB.  He is one of the few owners who would consider such
history to be important.

The current WLOB-FM has a much different history than WLOB.  It was formerly
WWMR Rumford before being bought by Carter Broadcasting.  The current 97.9
WJBQ was the original WLOB-FM in the early 70's and there was later a
WL)B-FM at 100.9, which is now WYNZ-FM.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine