Guy starts a LP station in Concord.

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Fri Feb 2 09:55:49 EST 2007

Paul Hopfgarten wondered:

> I wonder if or how the switch of WCRB to 99.5, which can be picked up in
> Concord will affect WCNH-LP. (when CRB was a 102.5, the bleed from WHKK(?)
> 102.3 made it unlistenable North of the Hooksett Tolls)

On my commute from north of Concord to Nashua, I could listen to WCNH
from near home to the liquor store and WCRB from just north of the tolls
to Nashua, though I usually wound up listening to WBZ and enjoy the traffic
reports that didn't affect me.

Even though I can get WCRB in the area and at home, the repetition of their
popular _subset_ (not all pieces play 5 times a week!) means there will
be a place for WCNH.  Besides, WCNH's "success" is more due to fundraising
than ad sales.

They've been at 80 watts for a couple years now.  If you look at their
coverage map, I'm close to the Penacook marker.  WCNH shares antenna space
with WEVO, NH Public Radio.  The map is pretty accurate, some hills between
me and the transmitter make reception at home pretty problematic, though
it's surprisingly good today). At the I93 interchange I usually use, Exit
17, near Boyce on the coverage map, reception is much better.  Canterbury
does pretty well, thanks to hills that partially block the 800 lb gorilla
WHOM.

I was an early donor and filed some reception reports during their testing.
They went online in March 2004 with a reception at a Concord restaurant
and remote broadcast, etc.  I think the first piece played was Fanfare
for a Common Man.  (We were _not_ at the Common Man restaurant though.)
I might be wrong, fuzzy memory.  Ah, I'm right, see
http://www.mediaaccess.org/programs/lpfm/ConcordMonitorLPFM.htm

Joseph Pappalardo asked:
> Does anyone know anything about Harry Kozlowski?

Scott's reply summed things up pretty well.

The early programming was from .mp3 files Harry ripped.  He had and has some
involvement with WEVO, and used some of their CDs.  I don't think knew a lot
about classical music before he started planning WCNH, but after deciding on a
classical format, he's gotten fond of it.  I'm not sure if it was signal
problems or too-low sampling, but there were times driving through what should
be good reception and the the fidelity was poor.  Hard to describe, just hard
to listen to.  Sub-audible multi-path interference was about the best I could
call it, but I'm not sure that exists mathematically.  The tuner stayed in
sync so it ought to have scrounged decent content.

At any rate, carrying the BSN (Beethoven Satellite Network) from WFMT and
Peter Van DeGraff was a good move.  Fidelity is fine, at least on car radio
quality receivers.  The programming is a couple steps up from today's WCRB.
If it gets too weird, I can fallback to WCRB or WBZ or oldies at WNNH.
Meanwhile WCRB listeners fed up with yet another Dance Macabre can step
up to WCNH.

   -Ric Werme