Turner Broadcasting:"Stunt Gone Wrong"

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Thu Feb 1 14:36:13 EST 2007

John Mullaney wrote:
> This incident seems like an accident. I don't think Turner Broadcasting had
> any intent to cause what happened. Should they have used more sense in a
> post 911 world? Well I guess we know that now but I'm not sure that they
> would have thought of that in advance. I think if they apologize and offer
> to pay for some or all of the extra costs of this marketing stunt that the
> government officials should relax their attack.
> However if these new reports are true that they didn't release the locations
> of all the other signs when asked is true I think that will change the
> situation dramatically.
>
> If it was a marketing mistake Turner should take immediate actions to
> explain that and fix it. If they decide to go silent for fear of litigation
> on the advice of counsel then I think they can expect litigation and perhaps
> license challenges.

It is interesting to read Time-Warner's (updated) Standards of Business
Conduct adopted last April.  I have excerpted therefrom (for scholarly
review purposes only):
A letter from the Chairman & CEO to all T-W Colleagues.
<snip>
"Wherever you work at Time Warner, these Standards should make
unequivocal our commitment to the following broad principles:

o We respect and obey the law.
o We conduct ourselves as professionals and value diversity and merit in
the workplace.
o Our business loyalties are to the Company and we avoid conflicts of
interest, real or apparent, that may jeopardize this primary allegience.
o We are not false. We account for and disclose information about our
Company honestly and in accordance with professional and legal requirements.
o We deal honestly, fairly and respectfully with each other and with our
suppliers, customers, competitors, governmental agencies and communities.
o While our content may sometimes engender controversy, we want no one
to question our character.
o We accept and encourage good faith questions and challenges to conduct
that may run counter to the Standards and we will not retaliate against
those who raise or assert them.
o We do not promulgate hollow words -  we mean these things and want our
Company to be defined by them.

We urge all employees at all levels to embrace them and live by them.