Channel 5-Bulletin in HD

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Feb 1 13:37:59 EST 2007

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:44:15 -0500, Mark Laurence <marklaurence@mac.com> said:
>
>> This was the first time I'd seen local news in HD.  It was easy
>> enough for them to do, with just a single camera shot, but it's
>> another step toward the first HD local newscast.
>
> A good number of stations (in other markets) are already doing their
> news in HD.  I believe we saw one on the northwest trip last year,
> although I don't recall which market.

Boston is indeed slightly behind the curve when it comes to local HD
news. WNBC in New York is 100% HD on material they originate themselves,
for instance, including their live helicopter shots. WABC-TV is HD in
studio, 16:9 SD in the field. Cleveland, for whatever reason, now has HD
local news on all its stations except the Raycom-owned CBS/My duopoly.
That's unusual - in most medium and large markets, it's just one station
pioneering local HD news. Gannett seems to be in the lead, with most of
its stations having converted now.

WCVB's "Chronicle" is, of course, produced in HD, and I guess I can
disclose that for an upcoming (end of this month) show on "100 Years of
Radio in New England," videographer/producer Art Donahue was here in
Rochester last month interviewing me. The HD gear he's using is quite
nice - almost no moving parts, as it records to portable hard drives
that can be swapped in and out of the camera.