Google Earth, Live Search

Robert F. Sutherland madprof@ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 11 14:07:36 EST 2007

Thank you, David, I have used Live Search (Microsoft Virtual Earth),
but hadn't tried birds eye.
WBZ-TV image is more impressive then Google Earth, sharper detail
(was able to splice a bunch of views together for most of the height,
but the xmttr elements were not available).
The image of the tower on the PRU is impressive.
WUNR site (2 towers, pre-construction) is very sharp!
WROL is not in an area of birds eye view.

Live Search for "WTAG, Worcester, MA"  gives: 58 Stereo Ln, Paxton, MA;
the tower site is actually off Woodland Rd, Chaffinville, which
is barely in birds-eye data base; only in small scale.

Albany NY:  birds eye not available.
BUT the Helderbergs (mountain range)
(TV towers, ie WRGB), ARE in birds eye!
Just takes a lot of  "scrolling around".

Live search has no coords,
specific (fixed) zoom scales (thus can't adjust view to fit
an array in same image or to maximum clarity,
often available view is less-then-desired size / clarity.

To me anyway, Live Search is more difficult to handle, to locate sites, etc.
Many stations do not give an address for the tower site,
making Live Search harder to pinpoint the Google Earth.

For my purposes, Google Earth is preferred;
Live Search birds eye view is useful as a secondary tool..

Bob Sutherland