Google Earth

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Dec 10 21:20:56 EST 2007

<<On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:22:17 -0500, "Robert F. Sutherland" <madprof@ix.netcom.com> said:

> Google Earth coordinate readings generally have a small difference
> from USGS maps, longitude worse (a few seconds), maybe varible.
> I have not sufficiently correlated the difference
> to offer any ideas of prediction.

Most likely it's an issue of different geodetic datums.  The FCC uses
NAD27 (the North American Datum of 1927) for broadcast licensing,
although for antenna-structure registration, WGS84 (World Geodetic
System 1984) is used -- probably Google Earth does the same.  There is
a utility on the Media Bureau's Web site to convert between the two.

-GAWollman