WTIC night signal

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Fri Aug 31 02:08:18 EDT 2007

<<On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:21:23 -0400, Aaron Read <readaaron@friedbagels.com> said:

> I'm relatively new to AM DX'ing, but this strikes me as odd?  Is there a
> particular reason why it'd come in at all so far away, but not improve
> even when so much closer?

Well, at some point (for example, around Springfield in the case of
WTIC), you begin to get destructive interference between the
groundwave and skywave signals.  Ground conductivity in New England is
pathetic, and WTIC's site (built for nationwide skywave service, not
local coverage) on top of a ridge in Avon doesn't help matters.  Of
course, remember that WTIC is DA-L:KRLD, not a strict DA-N, so where
that interference zone is depends on whether it's before or after
Dallas sunset.

-GAWollman
(writing today from western Idaho, where the Boise Hawks defeated the
Spokane Indians 8-7)