WTIC night signal

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Thu Aug 30 01:21:23 EDT 2007

I've been out in the Finger Lakes region of NY recently and noticed I
could hear the Sox on WTIC 1080 for most of the drive between there and
Boston (along I-90), as long as it was after dark.

However, I also noticed that the skywave reception was VERY in-and-out
for the entire drive...even the part of I-90 through Springfield, where
one would think WTIC should come in just fine.  But alas, not
really...there's just as much static, hash and fade there as there is in
  frickin' Syracuse.

I'm relatively new to AM DX'ing, but this strikes me as odd?  Is there a
particular reason why it'd come in at all so far away, but not improve
even when so much closer?