*SPAM 50* - :Re: Herald: sticking points in the Carr issue

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Aug 31 08:11:10 EDT 2007

But it's even more complicated that that! Because of the required
protections to stations to the west, nearly all Class B AMs in the
east must directionalize to the east (at least at night) and,
therefore, must be sited west of their COLs. Even WRKO's largely
north-south patterns conform to that rule; the radiation--even by
day--to the west is much less than that to the east. In WRKO's case,
Hildreth had to serve the then WLAW's then CoL of Lawrence in addition
to the community he was REALLY targeting--Boston. AND in those days,
an AM had to deliver at least 25 mV/m to its CoL's "principal
business district" (later interpreted as the main post office).
Because of the abysmal soil conductivity in southeastern New England,
what was then WHDH (AM) could not run ND days because the signal in
downtown Boston would have been inadequate. Similarly, WLAW HAD to
have a north-south pattern to deliver an adequate signal to both
Boston and Lawrence. Remember too, that when WLAW moved from Andover
to Burlington in 1947, it ran DA-1 (with the current night pattern)
and the lack of coverage of what is now known as MetroWest was not
considered a major problem because the population density out there
was not very great.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367