Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Mon Aug 27 15:16:59 EDT 2007

Donna Halper wrote:
> But today, since the issues that concern women are much more
> wide-ranging, a so-called women's talk show might actually get some
> male listenership too.

I suspect that approach would be more likely to draw revenue to sustain
it.  I have to wonder also if programmers need to do a better job with
talent and training talent to understand the target audience.  There are
some success stories with jocks who do well with women in the numbers,
e.g., Bedtime Magic, and even Tesh is doing relatively well with women
in some markets, Delilah, etc.   From the talk side, the sooner stations
figure out that a good solo talker versus a mediocre talk team (2-3 in
studio) can build that relationship better...the better.  I, for one,
actually preferred talking 1:1 to listeners and callers and wasn't that
eager to load up the schedule with authors, pundits, etc.  It seemed as
though I was connecting better with the female demo when I opted to
minimize my distractions of other 'voices' in the mix and  to focus on
people one at a time.  It's a tougher job but well worth the flop-sweat.

Bill O'Neill