Wee Eye

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Tue Aug 21 14:46:15 EDT 2007

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> (Of course in college football I doubt many Vermonters care about the
> B.C. Eagles.  In college hockey, of course, there is a local team --
> and again, I doubt the Beanpot holds much interest in Burlington,
> unless things have changed markedly in the past fourteen years.)

Agreed.  At least in the last seven years I've been here, there are more
Giants and Jets fans than I would have expected.  And Montreal is the
default pro team. I will say that pro teams, as a whole do hold less
value here, as Vermont is akin to a very large small town, culturally.
However.  Here, west of the Greens, where there is more of a New York
influence (even in the accent) whereas east of the Greens, Upper Valley,
Brattleboro, is decidedly more of a Boston pro sports area.  The Red Sox
do dominate statewide.

No matter how hard Entercom spins it, the product will be a Boston radio
station rebroadcast in very different territory.  I wish them well.  As
I have posted before, with regard to Howie Carr when he was over on WVMT
(620 Burlington), I can't imagine that there were many Vermonters
interested in The Brothers Bolger book signings in Swampscott.  And the
Inside 128 winks-n-nods were not received.  And if they were, they
served more to reinforce unfortunate stereotypes.  It will be great for
this Town-a-Dracut kid, but I am not so sure about many others.

Bill O'Neill