It's not WEEI vs. WCRB - it's WEEI *and* WCRB

mike@miscon.net mike@miscon.net
Tue Aug 21 13:54:58 EDT 2007

> Scott Fybush wrote:
>
> I would also imagine,
though, that there'd be cause for one of the
> noncomms to take
up the slack. It's not at all impossible to imagine
> WGBH
mustering the resources to buy a smaller commercial signal...

Hmmm... why would WGBH do that? Surely the classical music
community would just migrate to WGBH right where it is, should the
classical format disappear from the standard commerical bands.
They're not ignorant (and probably already aware) of WGBH, and are fully
capable of changing their radio dial. WGBH - I'm thinking - could care
less about commerical competition (as in, how things are working
now). While the current WBOS/WGBH (via WCAI) news partnership is based on
some radio community friensdships, I do not detect a desire by WGBH to
expand into the commerical realm - but I could be wrong.

I guess what I'm asking is, what would WGBH actually gain by venturing
in the FM commerical realm?

Mike