"The Edge" on "Smooth Jazz"

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Thu Aug 16 11:56:26 EDT 2007

> At 10:04 AM -0400 8/16/07, Brian Vita wrote:
>
> >As one of the five listeners in Boston with an HD radio
>
> If they really sold that slowly, RS and You Blew It would no longer
> be selling them.  Last I looked, they still were.

I agree but the vast majority of people that I've tried to discuss HD radio
with were not aware of its existance or were confusing it with XM/Sirius.
Its unfortunate that they chose to call it HD radio because I think its
easliy confused with HDTV.  Folks hear HD and they assume that we're talking
about TV.  I just hope that the listener base increases fast enough so that
the broadcasters (CC, GM, etc) don't throw in the towel as with AM Stereo
(which, by the way, RS also sold).

The other limiting factor is the slow nationwide rollout.  In many of the
markets that I have customers in, there's only one HD station.  Check out
how many HD stations there are in ND!

Even with such major retailers as You Blew It, Best Buy, RS and CSS
(shameless plug) selling it, the market share still has to be under 1% for
now.  What percentage of the listening public has satellite radio now?

> Then again, there are still some people out there who think only a
> few people have HD televisions!

I'm one of those too.  While its gaining acceptance, it still is a minority.
Of course this will change as the day of rude awakening looms nearer.  HD
radio has no such deadline...yet.

Brian

Brian Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.